Skype has 6 alternatives which are listed below.
Alternative 1: WhatsApp
WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.
In addition to basic messaging WhatsApp users can create groups, send each other unlimited images, video and audio media messages.
WhatsApp Messenger is a proprietary, crossplatform instant messaging subscription service for smartphones and selected feature phones that uses the internet for communication. In addition to text messaging, users can send each other images, video, and audio media messages as well as their location using integrated mapping features.
Read more about WhatsApp as an alternative for Skype.
Alternative 2: WeChat
WeChat is a free messaging & calling app that allows you to easily connect with family & friends across countries. It’s the allinone communications app for free text voice & video calls, moments, photo sharing, and games. Free texting, voice messages, and video calls in your pocket. 300 million people love WeChat because it's fast, reliable, private, and always on.
- Talk faster on the go with voice messages
- Crystal clear voice and video calls
- Instant messaging with group chats and animated smileys
- Chat with your friends or with people nearby
- Sending photos and videos has never been simpler
- Real walkie talkie mode with up to 40 friends
- Always on, no logouts, never miss a message
- Get message alerts instantly with push notifications
- Share, like, and comment on photos with your friends
- Import contacts and add friends instantly
- Available on all smartphones, all for free
- WeChat works over your phone's existing data plan or any WiFi connection.
- Extract QR codes from within images
Read more about WeChat as an alternative for Skype.
Alternative 3: Facebook Messenger
Instantly reach the people in your lifefor free. Messenger is just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Not just for Facebook friends Message people in your phone book and just enter a phone number to add a new contact.
Create groups for the people you message most. Name them, set group photos and keep them all in one place.
Photos and videos
Shoot videos and snap selfies or other photos right from the app and send them with one tap.
Talk as long as you want, even with people in other countries. (Calls are free over WiFi. Otherwise, standard data charges apply.)
Even more ways to message Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Preview your camera roll photos and videos without leaving the conversationthen choose the perfect ones to send. Record voice messages when you have more to say.
- Know when people have seen your messages.
- Forward messages or photos to people who weren't in the conversation.
- Search for people and groups to quickly get back to them.
- Turn on location to let people know when you're nearby.
- See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook.
- Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break.
- Stay logged in so you never miss a message.
Read more about Facebook Messenger as an alternative for Skype.
Alternative 4: Snapchat
Enjoy fast and fun mobile conversation! Snap a photo or a video, add a caption, and send it to a friend. They’ll view it, laugh, and then the Snap disappears from the screen unless they take a screenshot!
You can also add a Snap to your Story with one tap to share your day with all of your friends. The best conversations happen when both friends are present, so we’ll let you know if your friend is Here in your Chat so that you can give each other your full attention. And if you're both Here, simply press and hold to share live video and Chat facetoface!
Read more about Snapchat as an alternative for Skype.
Alternative 5: Kik
185 million people love Kik! Only Kik lets you connect with all your friends, no matter how you meet them at school, on your favorite social app, or in an online game. Just ask them “What’s your Kik?” Whether you’re into games, music, celebrity news, or just chatting, Kik is the place to hang out!
- Set up a username that’s unique to you. With Kik, you never have to share your phone number
- Kik’s special features let you manage your conversations, so you always decide who you talk to
- Do more than chat. Find and share games, music, celebrity gossip and more – without ever leaving Kik
Read more about Kik as an alternative for Skype.
Alternative 6: Viber
With Viber, everyone in the world can connect. Freely. More than 460 million Viber users text, make HDquality phone and video calls, and send photo and video messages worldwide over WiFi or for free. Viber Out can be used to make calls to nonViber landlines and mobile numbers at low rates. Viber is available for many smartphones and platforms. On Viber, your phone number is your The app syncs with your mobile contact list, automatically detecting which of your contacts have Viber.
Viber is completely free with no advertising and values your privacy.
- Text with your friends
- Make free phone and video calls with HD sound quality
- Share photos, videos, voice messages, locations, stickers and emoticons
- Create gGroups messages with up to 100 participants
- Follow Public Chats – get on the inside with your favourite celebs, brands and personalities; watch their conversations unfold in real-time, ‘like’ comments and share multi-media content
- Download stickers from the Sticker Market to make messaging fun!
- Push notifications guarantee that you never miss a call or message, even when Viber is off
- Support for the Viber Desktop application on Windows, Mac, Linux and Windows 8
Read more about Viber as an alternative for Skype.